WILD GUIDE FRENCH ALPS
A new compendium of adventures, from the best-selling and award-winning Wild Guide series now released for Europe’s favourite adventure holiday destination – including 800 secret places.
Discover hidden mountain peaks, plunging waterfalls and pristine lakes. Step back into history to explore lost ruins, forts and caves and to wander where wolves still roam free. Meet Alpine farmers and sample their delicious fare. Plan a night camping under a star-filled sky or snuggled down in a remote mountain refuge.
- Wild swimming
- Mountain views
- Rustic villages & hamlets
- Caves & gorges
- Classic cycling climbs
- Forts & chateaux
- Nature & wildlife spectacles
- Ancient ruins & sacred places
- Local produce
- Rustic auberges
- Camping & mountain refuges
Combining dazzling photography and engaging writing with all the practical information you’ll need to get off the beaten track, including maps, directions, GPS coordinates and walk-in times, plus recommendations for local places to eat and sleep. Perfect for families and adventurers.
- Climb the hidden limestone peaks of the Chablais
- Cool off with a swim in pristine Lac Lauvitel
- Explore the caves of the Vercors
- Eat cheese made the traditional way in the heart of the Beaufort
- Try artisan charcuterie with the wines of the Combe de Savoie
- Find the forgotten Maginot forts of the Italian border
- Marvel at the prehistoric stone carvings in the Vallee des Merveilles
- Commune with marmots and ibex in the Vanoise
- Listen for wolves in the wildernesses of Mercantour and Ubaye
In 2003 Paul and Helen Webster undertook a life-changing 4,000-mile continuous backpack across Europe. Following their return, they quit their conventional careers to begin a new life writing about the great outdoors and founded the UK’s most popular outdoor website Walkhighlands.co.uk. They have now written 18 guidebooks, and Paul won Scottish Landscape Photographer of the Year in 2018. They live in the Cairngorms National Park.